Today I turn 30 and I feel pretty amazing. For the first time in my life I feel like I am where I am supposed to be. Things feel right. I don’t have this strange feeling in my gut telling me when are you going to leave and the urge to run to the next thing. I feel like I am on my way to something great and living the life I was meant to live.
All of us reach an age when we start feeling at ease and comfortable in our own skin and start gaining more clarity about our purpose in this world. You know, that point when you feel you’ve arrived and not to the culmination of things or to your final destination, but to the beginning. It’s that moment when you start becoming and being your authentic self, going through the really bad and the really good days but staying strong and focused knowing you’ve got this.
So being that I feel this way I thought that it would be a fun experiment to get on board the ‘what I would tell my younger self’ posts, mainly to keep this list as a reference for myself, to look back ten years from now and remember how I felt right here and now.
These are 15 things I want to tell my 20-year-old self. And some would also apply to the 25, 26, and 27-year-old me.
- Saying I am sorry does not mean you are weak or a coward.
- Take it easy on yourself. You are perfectly imperfect. You are not too fat, too pale, or too shy.
- You said you would not have any children until you were 30+, ha, jokes on you!
- Being a size 10 is perfectly fine. You’re actually in a happy medium.
- Please internalize this and repeat it to yourself: done is better than perfect, done is better than perfect…
- Hold on tight because it’s about to be a crazy ride.
- The one thing you continually crave is freedom, seek that and cherish it because it will take you where you are supposed to go.
- Trust your instincts for they will lead you to amazing experiences.
- Don’t try to rush everything. God’s timing is perfect and he has a greater plan for you.
- You will have the privilege of bringing two beautiful women into this world. That will be your biggest achievement and it will teach you more than you can imagine.
- Continue standing for what you believe in and speaking your mind. This is a good quality that not everyone has, although it will get you into trouble here and there.
- Believe in your worthiness and in your ability to achieve anything you set your mind to. Self-confidence changes everything.
- There is no such thing as the perfect relationship or the perfect man. It is a work in progress involving a lot of giving and taking. Prince Charming does not exist and things don’t work out magically because of that one thing called chemistry.
- Choose your battles wisely and don’t be up in arms wasting your energy over anything.
- Your 30th birthday is pretty much around the corner. Make sure to love, smile, laugh and dance a lot on the way there!
If you liked it, share it!