Para leer esta historia en español haz clic aquí.
They say that it’s all in the way you see things and now that I am a mom I see the majority of things very different than before. But some concepts have changed more than others, like these five below. Let’s just say that on the one hand my expectations are a lot more relaxed as they have adapted to my new lifestyle and on the other I am a lot more stressed because I really do need more time!
1. Order – when the house is tidy enough that I can walk without tripping because the toys are on the couch, the table or the TV console and not exactly where I am stepping. This is of course not mentioning my daughters’ room, which I avoid going into sometimes.
2. Cleanliness – let’s just say that my standards have dropped a lot. Cleanliness now means when there is no juice spilled on the floor, cookies in the living room or cereal scattered all over the hallway. Everything else can wait until my official cleaning day.
3. Relaxation – no spa days or anything like that. Relaxation is now that time at 10:30PM when the girls are finally sleeping and I lay down supposedly to sleep but then I actually start browsing Facebook for 15-20 minutes to unwind and what really happens is that I notice that apparently everyone else’s lives seem to be way more interesting than mine.
4. Multitask – this used to mean putting my makeup on while driving or painting my nails while watching TV, or talking on the phone while doing homework. Now it means cooking and working at the same time while I care for my little one who just spilled cereal on the floor and has gone #2 so it’s time to change the diaper.
5. Fun – before being a mom this meant going to a concert with friends or staying up late chatting or dancing at a party. Now it means watching a movie with the family, seeing my daughters smiling and laughing and knowing they are having a good time. Of course it’s not all negative and this is my favorite part of being a mother. We get to have fun and enjoy life through our kids and there is nothing better than seeing them happy. It’s no longer about us but about them.
What about you? How has your way of seeing things changed after becoming a mom? I am sure that I am missing things here so feel free to comment below and let me know!
If you liked it, share it!