This was my first time driving a minivan, ever. I never quite liked them because I thought they were for older people or older moms with big families. I saw it as the ‘uncool’ car that would immediately age me. I know, I know, typical misconception based on those high school jokes and minivan mom stereotypes.
But this was all before driving the Kia Sedona two weeks ago. I had the opportunity to test drive the 2016 model and didn’t want to let it go. Turns out I am now a convert and driving a minivan suits me!
As I say in the blog post title the details make all the difference and there are many simple but well-thought-out details that make this car a wonderful option for moms. When you have two kids more room, more comfort and easy-to-access entertainment are a big YES!
Here are my favorite features of this hip and cool minivan, that by the way my girls and husband loved. I think he was sadder than me to let it go 🙂
1. Comfort and Space
This minivan is like a mutation or a cross between a minivan, an SUV and a sedan. It offers great comfort combined with a sleek design and a smooth drive.
When you are an on-the-go mom constantly picking up and dropping off your kids or running errands a minivan should be your go-to car. For me it was all about the ease of getting the girls in and out, especially Ale who uses a car seat. She could easily step into the van and sit herself in the car seat for me to buckle her in. This made me very happy because with our current car I have to carry her onto the seat and my back is feeling the pain.
A few other great things are:
- Heated front seats, which we don’t really use here in South Florida but if you’re up North it is a definite plus.
- Second row of seats recline! They call it First-Class Lounge Seating. The reclining seats feature adjustable armrests, winged headrests, as well as retractable footrests.
This is a key aspect we look at when car shopping and this minivan is very well equipped. These are some of the safety features we appreciated the most:
- Back-Up Warning System: When you’re in reverse, the Rear-Camera Display relays a live image of what’s behind your Sedona. If a hazard is detected, the system beeps to let you know.
- Surround View Monitor System: Offers a near all-around view in several viewing mode displayed on the Navigation monitor. Displaying real-time images from four cameras, the system provides a virtual ‘bird’s eye’ view.
- Blind-Spot Detection (BSD) System: Helps reduce the blind spots on the side and rear areas of the minivan. The camera-based detection system sends out visual or auditory signals to help warn you of objects not in your field of view.
- Airbags: The Sedona comes with Dual Front Advanced Airbags, Dual Front Seat Mounted Side Airbags and Full-Length Side Curtain Airbags offering enhanced safety to front, 2nd, and 3rd-row seating positions.
- Brake Assist System (BAS: Detects emergency braking situations and applies additional braking force.
- Rear Child-Safety Door Locks: Enables parents to disengage the interior door opening mechanism ensuring children can’t open the rear doors while the vehicle is in motion.
One of the things the girls enjoyed the most about this car was the dual power sunroof. I would open it randomly just to see their reactions and they would love it.
One of the things my husband and I enjoyed the most was the satellite radio 🙂
These are some of top entertainment/fun features of the Sedona:
- Front Row and 2nd Row Sliding Sunroof: Enjoy the fresh air as you drive around town. The kids will love it!
- AM/FM/CD/MP3/SiriusXM® Audio System: Over 130 channels with SiriusXM Satellite Radio makes every drive enjoyable.
- 8″ LCD Touch Screen: Navigation System comes with touch-screen display and Voice-Command. The Navigation System is amazing when it comes to getting real-time traffic updates to find the best routes to where you want to go.
- Infinity® Audio System: Brings your favorite music to life with deep rich bass, a full mid-range, and crisp clear highs.
- DVD Player: This right here is such a blessing! The girls were enjoying their movie as we drove around town and they even had their own wireless headphones!
3. Other Perks
- Steering wheel allows you to conveniently adjust radio volume, change channels, handle calls with your BLUETOOTH®-enabled phone and adjust your cruise control settings
- There are USB jacks everywhere in this car. No more shortage of ports to charge our phones!
- There are also 12-Volt Power Outlets – two outlets at the front and one in the cargo area put portable power in reach, wherever you need it.
- The Active Eco System proactively controls parts of the engine, transmission, and air conditioning to realize optimal fuel economy.
Leave your comments/questions below!