This is a sponsored post in collaboration with LUBRIDERM® and Latina Bloggers Connect. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
I remember that as a kid I would hate putting on lotion. Every time my mom would tell me to do so I would cringe. Back then, I disliked any kind of creamy or oily feeling on my skin, and now, in a funny turn of events, my oldest daughter is doing the same thing. Getting her used to applying lotion on a daily basis has not been easy.
However, I do believe in the importance of setting the right example and this is why I am very adamant about establishing a morning and nightly ritual with my girls. It’s something that they will remember as being part of their childhood and it will also help them understand the importance of caring for their skin from a young age.
When it comes to our daily routines, I make sure that Gaby applies lotion in the mornings before heading to school and at night, right after her shower. She makes all sorts of funny faces, but I tell her that this helps her skin stay healthy. I have a bit more flexibility with Ale since she loves massages so I make sure to add one here and there, usually in the mornings and at night, also after her shower. We both love this time together.
At home we use LUBRIDERM® for our daily skincare routines. It’s a brand that we trust and that we’ve been using for a very long time, especially because it feels very smooth on the skin without the greasy sensation. It leaves skin feeling comfortable and thoroughly moisturized, and at 16 fl oz, each bottle lasts a very long time so it’s a great value!
My husband is a separate case. It’s been a struggle to get him to even consider lotion as part of his morning routine, but he is learning little by little. Most men are not the type to think that they need lotion or to care about their skin in that way, but now he never leaves the house without putting lotion on. He really likes the LUBRIDERM® Daily Moisture with SPF 15 Lotion because it provides broad-spectrum sun protection while hydrating the skin.
When it comes to me, there is not a single day that goes by that I don’t put lotion on. I see it as a mini me-time ritual, where I have 5-10 minutes just for me, in silence, usually, if the girls are not right next to me. My go-to lotion is the LUBRIDERM® Daily Moisture Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin. This one contains Vitamin B5, it is also lightweight and leaves the skin feeling super soft.
After all of these years, I’ve learned that creating a family skincare routine is key, especially for the sake of our children. They must learn from a very early age about how to protect and care for their skin.
Here are several reasons why us parents should prioritize a daily family skincare routine:
- Kids learn by example and repeat what they see. Make sure that both mom and dad are following a daily skincare routine.
- Habits learned during the childhood years are often kept for a lifetime. Talking to your kids about the importance of daily skin care and carrying out your own daily routine will ensure that your little ones will apply your advice as they grow up.
- Baby skin is not as resistant as adult skin and it can be up to ten times thinner; therefore, it needs very special care. When it comes to toddlers and older children like my 6-year-old, moisturizing is key in order to prevent dry skin since they touch everything, are very active and sweat a lot and we’re always washing their hands to keep them clean. Even though genetics play an important role in the condition of our skin, how well we care for it is the most important factor in determining its long-term health. Let’s start early on with our children!
- If there is one thing you remember from this post let it be this: SUN PROTECTION. Sun damage is cumulative and the majority of sun damage occurs early in life. One study showed that about 80% of the sun damage to a person’s skin typically occurs by the age of 18. Let’s remember to always apply sunscreen on our kids before they head outdoors and explain to them why we are doing so.
- And remember that these moments, when you are giving your little one a baby massage or helping your daughter/son to put lotion on, make for great mommy-and-me time dedicated to each one of your kids. Enjoy it!
LUBRIDERM® has different types of lotions and since lotions go with personalities, each one of us in the family has a favorite one. Below is a breakdown of who uses what!
Click on image to enlarge.
If you liked it, share it!